The Museu da Música (Music museum) houses some of Europe’s richest collections of musical instruments dating from the 16th – 20th century. The collection features popular and classical instruments from Africa, America and Asia. The museum also holds a Cello made by Stradivarius which was once owned and played by King Luis 1 of Portugal who ruled between 1861 – 1889.
The creation of Museu da Música dates back to 1911 when the great musicologist Michel’angelo Lambertini who, was appointed by the minister José Relvas, started to collect musical instruments, scores and iconography pieces. Collections belonging to Alfredo Keil, Antonio Lamas and Carvalho Monteiro were also added to the theatre.
Michel’angelo Lambertini dedicated much of his life to this project however, following his death, the project failed to materialise and was later taken up by the Conservatório Nacional when the State purchased the collection.
The Museum had no other choice than to leave the Conservatório building in the 1970s. It went through an unsettled period during which its holdings were successively housed in the Pimenta Palace, National Library and Mafra National Palace.
The museum is currently located at the Alto dos Moinhos metro station in Lisbon and has been there since 1994. This was the result of combined efforts of Instituto Portugues de Museus and Metropolitano de Lisboa (which was an exemplary action of co-operation between the business and cultural worlds). Museu da Música gives the public a chance to view a varied selection of old beautifully crafted instruments from centuries ago. Have a look at a few of the pictures below:
Click on the website below for more information in regards to Museu da Música.
~ Many Thanks ~